Paneer Butter Masala
Paneer butter masala recipe with step by step photos and we also provide video – this is an easy to make recipe of paneer butter masala. You can prepare delicious restaurant style paneer butter masala. Let’s Start! Paneer butter masala is one of the most famous paneer dish along with palak paneer, kadai paneer, chilli paneer and matar paneer. paneer butter masala is served in almost all indian restaurants and is loved by many people. no wonder, this recipe is one of most popular recipe in the blog and made by many readers. you can read the comments below which has lot of tips from readers as well as myself. This recipe of paneer butter masala is similar to the way i would make butter chicken many years back. for the first time i had learnt how to make butter chicken during my home science days. later i used to use the same recipe for making paneer butter masala. some adaptations and improvisations have happened throughout the years. the paneer butter masala gravy is made of tomato puree and the regular indian herbs-spices. its has a slight sweet taste and very mildly spiced. thus making it an excellent gravy with chapatis for kids.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala
- prep time – 10 mins | cook time – 30 mins | total time – 40 mins
- Paneer butter masala recipe – soft succulent cottage cheese cubes in a creamy tomato based gravy.
- Recipe type: main | Cuisine: north indian | Serves: 4 servings
- Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 or 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese, cubed or diced
- 2 tbsp cashew or 18 to 20 cashews- soaked if you have time and then ground with some water to a smooth paste. if less time, then just grind the cashews to a smooth paste.
- 4-5 medium size tomatoes/tamatar or 300 grams or 2 cups of diced tomatoes – pureed
- 1 or 2 green chili/hari mirch, slit (reserve a few for garnishing)
- 1 inch ginger/adrak and 3-4 garlic/lahsun – crushed or ground in a mortar & pestle
- 1 inch ginger/adrak – julienned (reserve a few for garnishing)
- 1 tej patta/indian bay leaf
- 1 tsp kasuri methi/dry methi leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala or tandoori masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder or deghi mirch or kashmiri mirch powder
- 1 tbsp oil + 1 or 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups water
- a few coriander/cilantro/dhania leaves for garnishing (optional)
- salt and sugar as required – check notes below for adding sugar
1. heat oil and butter in a pan. add bay leaf and saute for some 10-15 seconds or till the oil become fragrant.
2. add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma disappears.
3. add the tomato puree and stir well. add red chili powder after 2-3 mins and stir again. saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the tomato paste.
4. add cashew paste and stir well. saute the cashew paste till the oil begins to leave the sides of the masala paste.
5. add water and stir. simmer on a low flame.
6. add julienned ginger and green chilies, salt and sugar and simmer till the curry begins to thicken.
7. add the paneer cubes and cook them for 2 to 3 minutes till they become soft.
8. don’t cook for a long time as the paneer will become dense.
9. lastly add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves & garam masala. stir.
10. garnish paneer butter masala with coriander leaves. serve paneer butter masala hot with plain naan, garlic naan, rotis or steamed basmati or jeera rice. side accompaniments can be onion-lemon salad or some pickle.